Why are you feeling or expressing a symptom?
It involves the understanding of prevention and treatment of any chronic disease from its origins. The hallmarks of Functional Medicine are:
• Patient--Centred Care
• An integrative, science-based approach
• The therapeutic relationship between the practitioner and the patient.
By listening to the patient and learning his or her story, we the practitioners, bring the patient into the discovery process and tailor treatments that address the individual’s unique needs. A patient-centred approach addresses the whole person and not just an isolated set of symptoms.
Specialist functional medicine practitioners look “upstream”. The unique genetic makeup of each patient is considered, along with both internal (mind, body, and spirit) and external (physical and social environment) factors that affect total functioning. Most chronic diseases stem from inflammation. We are trained to connect the dots to locate your main sources of inflammation.
Functional medicine integrates traditional western medical practices with what is sometimes considered “alternative” or “integrative” medicine, creating a
• Prevention through nutrition, diet, and exercise.
• Use of the latest laboratory testing and other diagnostic techniques.
• Prescribed combinations of drugs and/or botanical medicines, supplements, therapeutic diets or stress-management techniques.